Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Remember, remember...

From the movie V for Vendetta: (I got ahold of the movie's entire script and it's jz too tempting not to post some of it here)

"Remember, remember, the fifth of November, the gunpowder treason and plot. I know of now reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot."
Those were almost the very first words he spoke to me and, in a way, that is where this story began, four hundred years ago, in a cellar beneath the Houses of Parliament.

-Evey's V.O at the start of the movie

"The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him. And fortune, on his damned quarrel, smiling, showed like a rebel's whore. Disdaining fortune with his brandished steel, which smoked with bloody execution."

-V, saving a damsel in distress, Evey.

EVEY: Who -- Who are you?
V:
VoilĂ ! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both
victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere
veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands
vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin
van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious
violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held
as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one
day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise
of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it is my very
good honor to meet you and you may call me V.
V: And you would be?
EVEY: Evey.
V: Of course.

- haha. that scene's funny.

EVEY: V, v, v, v, v.
V: I hear your summons, my lady. And obey.
EVEY: Oh, V, you scared me. I was reading the inscription. What is it?
V: A Latin quotation. A motto. "Vi veri veniversum vivus vici." "By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
EVEY: Yes, I suppose you have. This place is the only universe I have right now.
V: Does that bother you?
EVEY: I don't know. I'm so grateful to you -- I just feel I should help you, you know, the way you're helping me. I mean, that's the deal, isn't it?
V: No deals, Evey. Not unless you want them.
EVEY: I think I do. Part of me wants to stay here forever and never have to face what's going on outside. But that's not right. Is it? That's not taking responsibility. Not conquering my universe. I want to help you.
V: I want to do something. Can we make a deal? Yes. I think we can make a deal if you like. I think I know a way you could help me very soon indeed.
EVEY: Good. That's that, then. V, you said that Latin thing was a quote. Who said it?
V: Nobody you'd have heard of. A German gentleman named Dr. John Faust. He made a deal too.

- V and Evey in V's lair

I was born in a rainy burg in Nottingham in 1975. I passed my eleven plus and went to girl's grammar. I met my first girlfriend at school. Her name was Sara. Her wrists. Her wrists were beautiful. I sat in biology class staring at the pickled rabbit fetus while Mr. Herd said it was an adolescent phase that people outgrew. Sara did. I didn't. In 1994, I stopped pretending and took a girl called Christine home to meet my parents. A week later I moved to London to go to college and study drama. My mother said I broke her heart. But it was my integrity that was important. Is that so selfish? It sells for so little but it's all we have left in this place...
It is the very last inch of us...

But within that inch we are free.

London. I was happy in London. I played Dandini in Cinderella. The world was strange and rustling with invisible crowds behind the hot lights and all that breathless glamour. Work improved. I got small film roles, then bigger ones. In 2006, I starred in "The Salt Flats." That's where I met Ruth. We fell in love. Every Valentine's Day she sent me roses and, oh god, we had so much. Those were the best three years of my life. In 2010, they came. And after that there were no more roses...
Not for anybody.

After the takeover, they started rounding up the gays. They took Ruth while she was out looking for food. Why are they so frightened of us? They burned her face with cigarettes and made her give them my name. She signed a statement saying I'd seduced her. I didn't blame her. God, I loved her but I didn't blame her. But she did. She killed herself in her cell. She couldn't live with betraying me, with giving up that last inch. Oh, Ruth. They came for me. They shaved off my hair. They held my head down a toilet and told lesbian jokes. They brought me here and pumped me full of chemicals. I can't feel my tongue. I can't speak. It is strange that my life should end in such a terrible place but for three years I had roses and apologized to nobody.
I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish...

Except one.

An inch. It is small and fragile and it's the only thing in the world that's worth having. We must never lose it or sell it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us. I don't know who you are but I hope you escape this place. I hope that the world turns and things get better and that one day people have roses again. I don't know who you are but I love you. I love you.

- Valerie's story

V: Welcome home, Evey.
EVEY: You. You did this... to me. You did this to me! You -- You hit me and -- and cut my hair. It was you. It was just you all this time. You tortured me. You tortured me -- Oh god, why?
V: Because I love you, Evey. Because I wanted to set you free.
EVEY: Love? Set me free? Don't you realize? Don't you realize what you did to me? You nearly drove me mad! I hate you. I hate you! Set me free? You put me in a prison to set me free?!
V: You were already in a prison. You've been in a prison all your life.
EVEY: Shut up! I don't want to hear it. I wasn't in a prison. I was happy! I was happy here --
V: Happiness is the most insidious prison of all, Evey.
EVEY: That's warped! That's evil and it's wrong! What gives you the right to judge? Who are you to say what's not good enough?!
V: You were born in a prison, Evey. I didn't put you there. I just showed you the bars. You've been in a prison so long, you no longer believe there's an outside world.
EVEY: Shut up! You're mad! I don't want to hear it!
V: That's because you're afraid, Evey. You're afraid because you can feel freedom closing in on you. You're afraid because freedom is terrifying.
EVEY: I can't feel anything! There's nothing left to feel! Don't you understand?
V: Don't back away from it, Evey. Part of you understands the truth even as part pretends not to. Woman, this is the most important moment in your life. Don't run from it.

- the "Revelation" as I like to call it. Hehe. Or the Liberation of Evey. Either way, it rocks.

haven't seen the movie yet? Do yourself a favor, and do.


No comments:

Post a Comment